Student Visa Options

Australian Migration Legislation is complex in nature, and we have endeavored to provide a brief outline of the key Study based Visas, please contact us directly should you require in depth information about these or other Australian Visas that is relevant to educational and training needs.

Sublass 570 – Independent ELICOS Sector
For international students undertaking ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) as a stand-alone course, and not as a prerequisite to commencing another course (for example, a degree course)

Subclass 572 – Vocational education and training (VET) sector
For international students seeking to attain a Certificate I, II, III and IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma.

Subclass 573 – Higher education sector
For international students seeking to attain a Bachelor degree, Graduate certificate, and Graduate diploma

Subclass 574 – Masters and doctorate sector
For international students seeking to attain a Masters degree by coursework or by research, and a Doctoral degree

Subclass 575
For international students seeking to attend a Non-award foundation studies/other sector – covers foundation, bridging or other courses that do not lead to the award of a degree, diploma or other formal award

To ensure your case is managed without application errors, misunderstandings or confusion contact Banksia Immigration Australia today to expedite your Australian Visa

Permanent Residency for Recent Graduates

In recent studies, it has been identified that most Visa applications prepared and lodged independently have a high failure rate up to 50 % compared to a 95% success rate when an application is applied through an Australian Registered Migration Agent. To ensure your case is managed without application errors, misunderstandings or confusion contact Banksia Immigration Australia today to expedite your Australian Visa.

Skilled–Graduate (subclass 476)

The 476 visa allow recent graduates of selected overseas universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations in demand in Australia. They are able to live, work and study during this period. The individual is able be sponsored on an Employer Sponsored 457 Visa or apply for an Australian permanent residence at any time if they are able to meet the required points on the General Skilled Migration points test.

The Individual must meet certain requirements as follows:

  • They are young- must be under 31 years old at the time of their application
  • Have completed an tertiary degree from one of 74 designated educational institutions in the last 24 months
  • Able to achieve satisfy professional English language requirement
  • Qualify as a member of an Australian Regulatory/ Professional Board.

These institutions are located in:

  • Europe: UK, Germany, Sweden, Russia
  • North America: USA, Canada & Mexico
  • South America: Brazil & Chile
  • Middle East: Turkey, Iran, UAE
  • Africa: South Africa & Tanzania
  • Asia-Pacific: China, Indonesia, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia & Philippines

Skilled–Graduate (subclass 485)

The 485 Visa is available to international students on completion of an Australian qualification after at least 2 academic years of study. Other requirements include age restrictions, having obtained a qualification that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and have a nominated occupation that is classified as either a 50 point or a 60 point occupation.
The 485 visa allows international students to remain in Australia for a further 18 months and there are no restrictions on work or study rights. It is designed to give recent graduates who do not satisfy the points test for Skilled–Independent (Overseas Student) 885 & 886 Visa, an opportunity to gain work experience or complete a professional year or undertake further studies or improve their English skills to acquire extra points in the test, necessary for an Australian Permanent Residency Visa.

The graduate must lodge their application within six months from when they have received the their completion certificate, diploma or degree they have been studied for. This means the date they have been notified of their results ie/ handed the results by hand, post or notification on a bulletin board and Not the date of their ceremony that they would be awarded your certificate or qualification.

Skilled–Independent (Overseas Student) (subclass 885)

The 885 Visa allow international students who completed a degree, diploma or vocational qualification from a minimum of 2 years full time study in Australia to apply onshore for Australian permanent residency.
To be eligible to apply for a visa, the individual must meet the general conditions of the Professional and skilled migration, which include:

  • The individual applying must have obtained English language threshold results before lodging application.
  • The individual applying must have evidence that you meet the English language threshold or have booked to sit an English language test.
  • The individual applying must have applied for a skills assessment in a nominated 50 or 60 point occupation.
  • The individual applying must hold or have previously held a student visa (560, 562, 563, 572, 573, 574) within 6 months prior to the application.
  • The individual applying must not have been unlawful in the last 6 months before applying
  • The individual applying must have booked or undertaken a full medical at the time of application.
  • All applicants, 16 years of age or older, must have applied for Australian Federal Police clearances at the time of application;

Temporary Visa (Subclass 570)

The main purpose of this visa is for international students to undertake and intensive course in English in Australia. It is commonly known as ELICOS (English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students)

Typcially, this visa is for students wishing to

  • apply for their first student visa
  • renew an existing student visa
  • apply to join a family member in Australia who is already on a student visa

Whilst on this visa you can study in Australia and your eligible dependents can join you, you can all work a maximum of 20 hours per week during study semesters (but unlimited during semester breaks)